Right off the bat, I want to dispel the notion that only tall people can wear maxi dresses. This is where I affect some sort of accent (southern, gay, coffee klatch…) and proclaim “oh, honey- fake it ‘til you make it!” No one knows if you have bare feet or 4 inch platforms on under that thing, so if you feel you are too vertically challenged to pull off the maxi look, just throw on the tallest shoes you own and (to quote Tim Gunn) make it work.
That said, a maxi dress honestly is a MUST HAVE for summer. Starting with uber casual and working all the way through to black tie wedding wear, the following are my top 13 outfit suggestions working with the basic assumption of a navy blue t-shirt fabric maxi dress. (need I say: available at eg in a strapless version with elastic waist by Velvet ($108), or tank version, no waist, by Graham and Spencer ($163))
- Over your bathing suit.
- Flip flops and a straw hat
- Sneakers (stan smith, chuck taylor, classic addidas) and both arms full of colorful made with love plastic bangles or woven friendship bracelets, or nikki b beaded bracelets, or all of those mashed up together. Cross body messenger bag or a backpack to stash your stuff.
- Throw an oversized semi-sheer tshirt on over the whole thing.
- Leather sandal and matching belt. Yes, I like to match here. Try saddle leather.
- Big tall wedge sandal with straw or rope sole and wooden beaded necklace. Straw tote bag.
- For cool evenings, a Rag & Bone Newbury bootie and a leather motorcycle jacket.
- Rock the Vintage accessories. The modern dress keeps it fresh. Try the granny look- crocheted cardi, lace up shoes, an antique charm bracelet and maybe even some nerdy glasses?
- A gold metallic sandal and oversized gold hoop earrings.
- Denim shirt, unbuttoned, and cowboy boots. Keep your jewelry edgy- not costumey. So skip the turquoise, think geometric metals instead.
- A dressier version of the previous- an open silk shirt, delicate gold jewelry and an evening shoe.
- Imagine your dress made of taffeta instead of tee-shirt and accessorize accordingly. Wear your best shoes and jewels, the length of the dress makes up for the casual fabric.
- Add a jean jacket to any of the previous suggestions. Always so cool.
These are just suggestions, so use them as a jumping off point. We have some super cool printed maxi dresses in the store too, and I’ve seen them all over the pages of the magazines this Spring. Most of these ideas work just as well (or better) with a printed dress too!
If you still aren’t sure, stop by the shop and we’ll help you put together and outfit. Or if you are out of town, get in touch on facebook, or message us on The Nearby, or (gasp!) call us on the telephone- we’re happy to help.